- Publish Date
- Saturday, 20 October 2018, 3:41PM
Everyone wants to win in lotto, but few of us ever manage to do it.
A Romanian-Australian economist named Stefan Mandel did what many could only dream of doing - not only did he win the lottery, but he did so 14 times.
It might be completely confusing and way over our heads, but Stefan has revealed how he managed to pull it all off.
- Work out the total number of possible combinations. Which is a grand total of 3,838,380 combinations!
- Get yourself a lottery where the jackpot is three times or more the number of possible combinations.
- Here's the catch... Get together enough money to pay for each combination. Stefan himself got 2,524 investors together in his bid to win the Virginia lottery.
- Print out millions of tickets with every combination.
- And finally: win the lotto baby! Mandel only came away with $97,000 after a $1.3 million win in 1987, because he had to pay all of his investors back.
So it turns out Stefan's idea is probably a bit of a scam nowadays, but it sounds like he was desperate for a bit of fast money!